Thursday, August 27, 2015

Some Tremendous Progress


About six months ago, I had attended a conference specific to my teaching field. During a break out session, I was conversing with another attendee about my curriculum with a specific emphasis on improved writing skills. She gave me her card and stated that her school has a shortage of qualified writing professors. When I saw the name of the school, I was taken aback. It's a major university. Am I even qualified? Nonetheless, I took her card and thanked her. She definitely planted a seed because I kept questioning my abilities and qualifications. Could I teach this? It would definitely look good on my curricula vitae to show that I've taught at a university. A few months later, I went onto the employment opportunities site and found a posting looking for writing instructors. So I went ahead and applied thinking nothing of it.

Earlier this week I received an email asking to come in for an interview. I was shocked. I didn't even think I'd make it past the application phase. My students were very encouraging saying that I would be a great professor, but that they'd miss me if I'd leave my current position. Usually, full time jobs are hard to come by so I'd probably stay and reduce my hours and perhaps teach one class at the university. But that's IF I even get selected.

I've been having some rather sleepless nights due to nerves. I kept thinking about where I was before moving back to San Francisco. The stress and trauma that I went through when I was raped not only by a disturbed individual but also by the justice system. I never thought at that time that I could possibly find success and happiness again. My anxiety symptoms increased as interview day came closer. I had to rely on my sleep medication to help me through the night. I was not only nervous but scared. 

Today was interview day. When I went to work today, my students kept commenting on how different I look; no red lipstick. Just the "dusty rose" color from Bésame. I even wore slacks. I don't think my students have seen me in anything but a dress. They wished me the best of luck before leaving. 

I arrived on the campus early and entered the department office. I was met by the administrative assistant. It was the same young lady I met months ago. It was good to see her again. She told me that when the job posting was released, she immediately thought of me, but had lost my contact information. She knew my first name, but couldn't recall my last. When my application appeared, she told the staff, "this is the person I was telling you about." Wow. My name had been floating around. That's a good sign.

The interview itself went very, very well. Both interviewers were impressed with my answers as well as my professional opinions about a few writing samples. They asked about my teaching strategies, so I pulled out my portfolio and handed them copies of lesson plans and classroom content. I don't think they expected that because they had a genuine look of surprise and interest. The atmosphere was very positive and judging from their body language, I am probably a very good candidate. Although I don't want to get my hopes up. Anything can happen.

One thing, though, that was a highlight of the interview was that one of the interviewers had visible tattoos on her arms. I asked, "so there isn't a policy against tattoos?" They laughed and the other interviewer pulled up her sweater's sleeve and showed that her arm was covered. They noticed mine peeking through, and I said that I was trying to cover them for the interview. One of them said, "half the staff is tattooed! It's no big deal."

I think what I'm most proud of is that I took a chance despite all my fears and anxiety. Even if I don't get the position, the effort was well worth it. Although my dad and students think that I have it in the bag. We'll see.

UPDATE: So I learned that I did not get the position, and I'm okay with that. At first I was a bit disappointed because only 1 of my 3 references wrote a recommendation on my behalf. The other two apparently didn't see my request as a priority nor did they forward my impeccable teacher evaluations as requested by the university. Bummer. I didn't have university experience which is a strike against me; hence the importance of reference letters and evaluations, which the university did not receive. But in retrospect, my dream is to teach university level courses; courses that require a higher level of rhetorical thinking and analysis. Perhaps that's the plan God has for me. Other opportunities will come.